Friday, September 01, 2006

Lexington, VA - Richmond, KY

We had planned on leaving Langley first thing Friday morning, September 1st, but by Thursday night I was thoroughly worried. Tropical depression Ernesto was making his way to southeast Virginia and was due to arrive around 2 a.m.

We had had a busy day. Rick did his final outprocessing then we attended his going away luncheon where he received some very beautiful momentos. The rest of the afternoon was filled with errands (which, for me, always includes returning borrowed items), then we returned to our billeting room, tired and ready for a good night sleep. Then we turned on the news.

I soon realized we were either going to have to leave a day later than planned, leave early, or attempt to drive through the wind, rain, and flooded interstate. Since I tend to be emotional and somewhat overcautious when it comes to safety issues, I didn't want to be the one to make the decision to change our plans, so I prayed about it. I asked God to lead us to do the right -- and safe -- thing.

I hadn't said anything to Rick, but he could tell I was worried. We discussed it and decided to pack up as quickly as we could, check out of billeting, and hit the road to avoid the worst of the weather, and that's exactly what we did.

We pulled up to Holiday Inn Express at 12:30 a.m. in Lexington, Virginia completely exhausted. We got the first room on the first floor right by the exit door (extremely handy since we have to take the dogs out to potty), and I have to say that I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. If you ever have to stay the night in Lexington, VA I highly recommend this hotel. It is beautiful, comfortable, and pet-friendly.

Tonight finds us staying at Holiday Inn Express in Richmond, Kentucky, about an hour away from Livingston. We arrived at around 6 p.m. As soon as we were finished unloading the truck Rick and I got a workout in the hotel's exercise room, then Rick and Bren spent an hour in the pool while I did some laundry. Tonight we're relaxing in the room watching the new Poseidon Adventure.

The dogs and Daisy (our ferret) have been quite stressed so far during the trip, which is understandable, but I'm sure they will settle into the travel routine nicely since we will be on the road so long. There is nothing easy about traveling with animals! It's a good thing we love them so much :o)

Updating at the end of every day is going to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be just because I pretty much have mush for brains after being on the road all day. If I can wrestle the laptop away from Bren sometime on the road I chould try to write a little at a time and post at the end of the day along with any pics I have taken.

The End

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna, I had wondered if we would hear how everything was once you got to Alaska! What better way to document the whole trip than a brand new blog! Interesting! (And you were sooo close to us when you drove by Staunton headed to Lexington!)

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about the excursion so far. Thanks for the prayers for my husband working the storm crews. Hope the rest of your trip isn't in the midst of a raging storm!

Looking forward to keeping up with this journey :) Take care.

G.Doane said...

Thanks for the updates, Donna. Praying for you all as you trek north to Alaska.

Violet N. said...

This gives me the travel bug. I can just feel the sense of freedom one gets from being on the road, and the miles ticking away - and the mush brain.

You aren't by any chance going to be driving through Canada -Vancouver area? If so, let me know. We might be able to 'arrange' something.

Anonymous said...

Be blessed in your travels.

You're fortunate that you left when you did. Daybreak in Hampton Roads brought much street flooding. It was really a miserable, rainy day.

Looking forward to hearing more about your travels and new location.