Saturday, November 04, 2006

Iceman Falls

Now I know why the locals laughed at me when I suggested that 20 degrees was cold. At 20 degrees you can stand outside for quite awhile before you actually feel really cold, but at below zero, you feel it in just seconds.

This afternoon we took a drive up to Iceman Falls (You can read all about it here), the ski and sledding area here on base. There is a nice little lodge with a fireplace, snackbar, tables and chairs, and an equipment rental area. We ran into our friends there, so we sat and had coffee and cocoa in the lounge while watching the sledding from the floor-to-ceiling windows.

I took the last shot on the way home. The full moon was rising and looked stunning. It's not a very good photo...I had to ask Rick to pull over and I was a bit wary of the traffic on the icy roads, so I took it quickly. I'll be glad when I can someday get a nice digital camera. Click on pics to enlarge.


7 comments:

Al said...

To Virginians, 20 degrees F is cold. But from what I have read, you better get ready for 40 below! Good luck in the Last Frontier, an adventure of a lifetime.

Amy said...

beautiful photos! especially the 2nd to last one.

CereneOne said...

Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't look like the hills are very steep there, but the pics sure are purty! You can keep the minus temps, tho!

Zack

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos...I would beg to differ with whoever laughs about 20 deg being cold! Below zero--forget it!!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog alot!

Unknown said...

hey donna - what type of camera do you have right now. Really a point and shoot is all you need. If you want something really nice, a 6 meg with 12 times zoom is highest that exist right now.
dpreview is the site to check out...

Great pics! :)